Saturday, July 15, 2006

Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Author: Joanne Harris
ISBN: 0-552-99848-6
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Black Swan


"When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaud, identifies her as a serious danger to his flock - especially as it is the beginning of Lent, the traditional season of self-denial. War is declared as the priest denounces the newcomer's wares as the ultimate sin.

Suddenly Vianne's shop-cum-café means that there is somewhere to for secrets to be whispered, grievances to be aired, dreams to be tested. But Viane's plans for an Easter Chocolate Festival divide the whole community in a conflict that escalates into a 'Church not Chocolate' battle. As mouths water in anticipation, can the solemnity of the Church compare with the pagan passion of a chocolate éclair?"

I loved this book and found it easy to read. It was exciting and a real page turner. It had me hooked from start to finish. The characters are loveable, especially Armande.

As I begun the book and got through it, I found myself falling in love with the characters, and I found that lots of detail had been given to them and the town etc, so much that I felt I was there with them as I read the book.

I also found that I could identify with Vianne, and this helped me to feel close to her. But my favourite character of the book has to be Armande and did I cry!

Verdict: Wonderful!

No comments: