Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert.


Author: James Herbert
ISBN: 1-4050-0520-3
Genre: Fiction.

Publisher: Macmillan

"The Caleighs have had a terrible year...They need time and space, while they await the news they dread. Gabe has brought his wife, Eve, and daughters, Loren and Cally, down to Devon, to the peaceful seaside village of Hollow Bay. He can work and Eve and the kids can have some peace and quiet and perhaps they can try, as a family, to come to terms with what's happened to them...Crickley Hall is an unusually large house on the outskirts of the village at the bottom of Devil's Cleave, a massive tree-lined gorge - the stuff of local legend. A river flows past the front garden. It's perfect for them...if a bit gloomy. And Chester, their dog, seems really spooked at being away from home. And old houses do make sounds. And it's constantly cold. And even though they shut the cellar door every night, it's always open again in morning..."The Secret of Crickley Hall" is James Herbert's finest novel to date. It explores the darker, more obtuse territories of evil and the supernatural. With brooding menace and rising tension, he masterfully and relentlessly draws the reader through to the ultimate revelation - one that will stay to chill the mind long after the book has been laid aside."


I wanted to read this book after a few people I knew had read it and loved it. So I borrowed it from my sister and was really pleased I had!
For me, so far it has been the best James Herbert book I have read. I found it to go quickly into the story, which for me was really enjoyable. I adored the characters and felt that I was there. I was pretty gripped by this book.
It was pretty scary in places and I wouldn't read in a room on my own, but sometimes I did brave it hehehe.

The book is basically about a family who move into a haunted house, it's haunted by the ghosts of children. I won't say anymore as I don't want to give anything away.

If you're a fan or horror and James Herbert, then I think you'll enjoy this book.

My Verdict: Excellent!

No comments: