Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger


Author: Audrey Niffenegger
ISBN: 0-099-46446-2
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Vintage.

"This extraordinary, magical novel is the story of Clare and Henry who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself pulled suddenly into his past or future. His disappearances are spontaneous and his experiences are alternately harrowing and amusing. The Time Traveler's Wife depicts the effects of time travel on Henry and Clare's passionate love for each other with grace and humour. Their struggle to lead normal lives in the face of a force they can neither prevent nor control is intensely moving and entirely unforgettable."

This is
one of the books that I had wanted to read for ages. I'd read lots of good reviews about it and had to read it for myself.

The Story is about how Henry who has a genetic disorder, which makes him time travel. He meets his future wife when she is just 6 years old and from then on, visits her as she's growing up. Time traveling is not something he enjoys and wants it to stop, he finds a doctor who he hopes can help him, but can he? It's not easy convincing people he's a time traveler, especially when he time travels and ends up in a destination butt naked. I also liked reading Clare's side of how it was to live with Henry, and dealing with his absence when he time traveled.

There's so much to this book, it was very emotional. I really felt like I could connect with the characters, and I felt like I was there with them. I love books that do that to you. This is certainly a fabulous book, it was beautifully written and I enjoyed it so much
I loved how every detail of Henry and Clare's relationship went into this book, and I did enjoy reading about the love and passion they shared for each other.

I don't usually give my reviews scores, but if I was to, this one I'd give it 10/10.

My Verdict; One of the best books I've read.


6 comments:

Dewey said...

I'm so glad you liked this! It's one of my favorites ever.

Kelly said...

I LOVED THIS BOOK! It is on my
carousel of books, that I could read again and again and still love it as much as the first time.

Dewey said...

Margo, you're doing the Something About Me challenge, right? This was one of my picks for that, so you could count it for the challenge if you wanted. Or maybe you already plan to!

karen said...

Oooh, this has been on my TBR list for a while and I think I might have to move it up - way up based on your review!

1morechapter said...

Can't wait until this movie comes out!

mb said...

"I felt like I was there with them"
reading this the first time I came across one of the entries that was the actual date I was reading the book on..I too felt I was there, so much so that I had to stop for the day.