Monday, February 11, 2008

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom


Author: Mitch Albom
ISBN: 978-0-7515-2981-4
Genre:
Non Fiction/Biography
Pages: 210
Format:
Paperback
Publisher:
Sphere

"Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, and gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly 20 years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying of ALS - or motor neurone disease - Morrie visited Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class": lessons in how to live. This is a chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world."

I wanted to read this book after reading both The Five People You Meet In Heaven, and For One More Day by the same author. Both books I loved, and so I was hoping I would enjoy this one too.

I don't really read Biographies, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Any how, as I was reading this book I had to keep reminding myself that this is a 'true' story, and that it wasn't based on fiction.
The reason for this; I found Morrie to be so lovable. Even now, I find it hard to believe it's true.
I really enjoyed every page of this book and found myself drawn to it. It made me think about certain things going on in my life, and all this comes from a man who near the end of his life, wanted to share his wisdom and love with the world. I easily found myself drawn into the book, and could picture and visualize places and scenery, and the people with how they had been described and written. I can also tell you, I cried and cried at the end of this book, it was so very sad. You're gonna need your tissues!

This a true story of how a Mitch Albom lost contact with his uni professor, his most favourite teacher. Who he had promised to stay in touch with, after he graduated. Life moved on and the years passed, until one day Mitch heard Morrie's name announced on TV. He then gets in contact with his dying teacher and their lessons with each other begin again, until the end.

I highly recommend this book to everyone. It's such an easy book to read, and I know there's a few people who'll finish it in a day. I'm so pleased I read it, and I will certainly be looking out for more books by Mitch Albom.

No comments: