Thursday, June 28, 2007

House of Echoes by Barbara Erskine


Author: Barbara Ersikine
ISBN: 0-58-351149-X
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 421
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Harper Collins


"
When Joss, who is adopted, decides to trace her natural parents, she finds her deceased mother has left her a country mansion in her will. Joss and her family are thrilled to start a new life, but gradually they begin to understand the house's terrible past."

I was really looking forward to reading this book, after hearing that some people really enjoyed it but, sadly I hated it! I had to slug through the last pages and basically rushed through the book to finish it.

I thought I was in for a good horror story, but I didn't find it scary and I was sick to death of reading about the whining from the two sisters Joss & Lyn. Whine whine whine!!!! I couldn't connect with any of the characters either. This book just didn't keep me interested. I found that I didn't really like Joss. I'm not sure if it was her character or the way the author writes? As even some things Joss husband (Luke) said to her, just didn't seem right in the book to me? There was just too much whining going on and not enough action and there didn't seem to be any atmosphere to this book.

I wouldn't even compare this book to 'Jame Herbert's The Secret of Crickley Hall', which imo was 100 times more exciting and scarier than this book.

This was my first Barbara Erskine book, I have Sands of Time sitting on my shelf, but that will be going way down on the list! Sorry to all those who like her, I know this book has been highly recommended else where. But I just didn't like this book.

My Rating: Obviously disappointing.

3 comments:

Daphne said...

Don't you just hate when you are looking forward to reading a book and then it is so disappointing? Bummer.

Margo. said...

Yes I hate that lol. When I bought this book I couldn't believe my luck, as I got it from a 2nd hand store and it was one I had wanted for ages.

Clare said...

Awww sorry you didn't like this, I quite liked it but, then read Lady of Hay bored me to tears and now won't touch any of her books LOL