Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice


Author: Anne Rice
ISBN: 0-7088-6073-7
Genre: Horror Fiction

Publisher: Warner Books

"In a darkened room a young man sits telling the macabre and eerie story of his life - the story of a vampire, gifted with eternal life, cursed with an exquisite craving for human blood."

I had been after this book for a long time and when I spotted it in my local 2nd hand book store, I was thrilled! I had heard mixed reviews about this book, some people like it while others hate it.
Personally; I loved it!

I had seen the movie a few years ago and it has always been one of my favourites, so I pretty much knew the plot and the characters of this story. When reading it I did (as you do) picture the actors in the movie as those in the book. I thought that kind of helped, I liked it anyway, considering I love the movie and like the actors in it.

The book gave me an insight into the characters that the movie hadn't. I felt as though I got to know them much more and I could sympathize with them. I felt the book take me deeper into their characters and helped me to see them differently. For instance, you get a better picture of Louis, how he is a vampire who finds it hard to accept his role as a vampire. He finds it hard to let go of his human 'emotions' and feels sorrow for his victims. Lestat you begin to realise isn't that bad after all (in vampire terms lol). Also Claudia and how she has to come to terms with never having the opportunity to become a woman.

There is so much more to this book though and I loved, nearly every minute I spent reading it. There was only one small part of the book I didn't like much, and that was in the first half of the book, every now and then, the boy taking the interview would be mentioned. So where I was getting stuck into the story, I was all of a sudden pulled out of it as the boy asked a questions or he wanted to light his cigarette or something. But the 2nd half of the book that very rarely happened.

Overall, I loved the book and can't wait to read the next two in this series!

My verdict: Excellent!

1 comment:

Clare said...

Fantastic review Margo, I loved this one too :-))